Women Talk Construction Forum

My daughter noticed!

Laura Biggerstaff

My 27 year-old daughter called me yesterday - she was excited - I could tell - she said, "Mom, I drove past a construction site today and there were more women on the site than men."

We wouldn't have had this conversation a few years ago - she wouldn't have noticed years ago - it wouldn't have been true a few years ago.

This really charged me up! I was proud!

Need more of this! Curious, young minds need exposure to what is possible. How do we interest students in construction and ultimately pursue a career in construction?  One way is to give them hands-on experience in the classroom - at a young age. Are there projects at their schools the students can help with? Can they safely tour a construction site? Can we bring in successful construction men and women into the classroom to speak?

IRON ELK is a proud partner of Women Confidence Builders in the Upstate of South Carolina. Women Confidence Builders (WCB) is a non-profit whose mission is to educate, mentor, disciple and empower women and girls while encouraging their growth and building confidence. Having high school students attend our quarterly luncheons is a highlight of WCB. When these students walk into the room, they have an entire fan base waiting on them with open arms. You never know, you might even sit directly beside the Lt. Governor - it's happened. Pamela Evette

To find out more information on how you can get involved, visit https://lnkd.in/gvFjtJ45 . OR contact me via our website at https://www.ironelk.com/